Thursday, July 16, 2015

Unexpected Shoes



"Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."
(1 Corinthians 15:58)
 A most surprising thing has recently happened - something totally new, totally amazing, totally unexpected. For the past year I have been earnestly seeking an answer to the question: " What do I do now?" The question relates to the fact that I will soon be experiencing the empty nest. It is still a few years away, but it is coming. I want to be prepared and seize the opportunity when it comes.

It came! I was walking my usual route and saw three women sitting outside an apartment building. One woman looked very familiar while the other two were clearly of the Muslim faith, dressed in black robes and head coverings. As I passed them, I decided to take a second look at the familiar-looking woman when I was on my return route. I knew her! I had helped her almost 20 years ago when she was pregnant and needed a safe place to stay. She is from Iraq. I walked to her and said her name. She said mine. She remembered.

I was introduced to the other two women. One was her sister, the other her mother-in-law. Her sister spoke to her in Arabic. My friend was now well spoken in English and translated for me.The sister wondered if I might teach her English. I responded, "I would love to!" We exchanged phone numbers, said our farewells, and I walked home.

A few days later, I texted my Iraqi friend to let her know that I was serious about teaching English to her sister. She replied, "Okay, how about tonight at 5:30?" GULP. Wait. This was happening too fast! This was not how I work. I had not had a chance to plan. And yet, I knew I had to say yes simply to communicate my sincere desire to teach her sister. I texted, "Okay."

That evening I walked to the apartment, unsure about which door was the correct one. My friend was not there either. I texted her to find out the number of the door. She responded with the number, stating that she would be there soon. Totally out of my comfort zone, I began to ask myself what I was doing, how was this ever going to work, etc., etc. Meanwhile, a door opened and out walked the sister! "Well, here I go!", I thought.

I followed the sister into her apartment. She greeted me with a kiss on the cheek. The sister was excited for me to be there. I learned about her family when my friend arrived. The sister cares for two children: one an orphaned girl and the other a grandson. The children spoke English quite well and helped in translating what the woman wanted to say.This woman knew very little English despite the fact that she has been in this country for four years. She welcomed me, offering a plate of fruit to share with her and my friend.

I left that day exhilarated by the newness of it all - the people, the environment, the hunger for knowledge, the eagerness for a friend. Five weeks have passed since that first day. Each week I have forced myself to go. Each week I have left with the joy of sharing my life with another woman, praying that she will see Christ in me. I have made flash cards and thought of creative ways to teach her English as a second language. Her desire to learn is delightful. I was even invited to and attended her grandson's birthday party.

There is so much more I could write but I will stop. I share this story because I want to encourage all of you, dear sisters. Be ready. Look out. Your opportunity may be right outside your door. Your God ordained appointment is coming or perhaps has already arrived. Don't shrug your shoulders or close your eyes. Be bold. After all, it is not just your life that you are sharing. You are sharing Christ. And your labor will not be in vain.




No comments:

Post a Comment