Thursday, September 6, 2012

School Shoes


Near the end of August most school age children are given the opportunity to shop for new school shoes. As a child I was no different. Because my family lived in a rural setting, there was a 45 minute drive to the nearest department store. Shopping for new school shoes was an event.

The event began with much anticipation. New shoes! I was going to have new shoes! As my family drove to the store I wondered, "What will my new shoes look like?"Ties or slip-ons? Brown or black? Heel or no heel? I would know the answer very soon. Eventually we arrived and went directly to the store's shoe department. Various styles were selected, tried, and a final decision made. Since the shoes must last all year, the decision was an important one.

When we arrived home, I carried the shoes up to my room and placed the box into my closet. Reverently, on the night before school began, I took the shoes out of their box and laid them beside my new clothes. Those shoes would never look as nice as that first day of school.

Years have passed since my annual shoe shopping trips Most of my children have outgrown such trips as well. My wardrobe is now full of a wide variety of shoes: black, brown, red, and even orange provide me with a plethora of choices. Heels, flats, boots and athletic wear extend my options. I am blessed to have so many choices! Nevertheless, as school begins each year I am reminded of the enthusiasm generated by the thought of new shoes and a new year of school. Such excitement! Oh, to be a student again!

Dear sisters, a moment...As followers of Jesus we are students for life. Our lives are to be active in pursuing the goal of continued growth into the image of our Saviour. Our every thought is to be captive to Christ! Are you there yet? I'm not! Psalm 119:27 states:
"Let me understand the teaching of your precepts; then I will meditate on your wonders...."
We cannot understand without intentionally becoming and remaining a student of God's word. If we are in a place of service within the church this truth should especially renew our student heart. As we live Christ before others in the church let us make certain to wear our school shoes. When we put them on we remember that there is still so much more to learn.

"Study to show thyself approved unto God; a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."(2 Timothy 2:15 KJV) 


No comments:

Post a Comment